A suppository is a solid molded medication that is inserted rectally or vaginally. The medication is delivered once the suppository dissolves inside the body. It will then be absorbed locally and systemically.
Types of suppositories include:
- Rectal Suppositories
- Vaginal Suppositories
Benefits of using a suppository are:
- To bypass liver metabolism (first-pass metabolism).
- To ease delivery for those who have trouble swallowing pills.
- To bypass gastrointestinal degradation from stomach acid.
- To bypass gastrointestinal sensitivity.
- To bypass oral ingestion for those with vomiting tendency.