Topical medications are applied onto the skin or mucous membrane. This offers another delivery method of drug absorption. A benefit of using a topical medication is that it can provide treatment locally.
Compounded Topical Medications
Topical forms include:
- PLO gels
Topical administration of medication can:
- Bypass liver metabolism (first-pass metabolism).
- Combine two or more active ingredients together to enhance patient compliance.
- Ease delivery for those who have trouble swallowing pills.
- Bypass gastrointestinal degradation from stomach acid.
- Bypass gastrointestinal sensitivity.